November 14 is World Diabetes Day and there are some worrying figures about South Africans increasingly needing to cook diabetic recipes.
In 2021, figures from the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) showed that more than 4 million adults in South Africa are affected by the disease, while just under half of people living with diabetes are undiagnosed and one in three adults in the country is in 2021. high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
The industry is concerned that there are a large number of South Africans living with diabetes. However, the condition can be managed with a change to a healthier lifestyle and diet.
Diabetic-friendly recipes don’t have to be bland. Try this low carb Mediterranean chicken.
Low Carb Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 medium chicken thighs or breasts (4-6 ounces each)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 6 small mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach (you can use frozen, cook, drain and squeeze to remove excess moisture)
- ⅓ cup grated Italian cheese
ALSO TRY: Recipe of the Day: Chinese Drunken Chicken Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in an oven-safe pan. Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and oregano, then quickly sauté until golden brown on each side. Remove from pan.
- Add another teaspoon of olive oil to the pan along with the onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook until tender. Add sun-dried tomatoes, feta, spinach and browned chicken.
- Sprinkle with Italian cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until done. Chicken is fully cooked to 165F (74C).
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving to maximize flavor.
This recipe was found on easyhealthllc.com
- Expert advice:
- Use “shortcut” products to save time or a trip to the grocery store. Frozen diced onions, frozen spinach and jarred minced garlic and bell peppers work great.
- Choose an oven-safe pan to save on cleanup. This is a meal in a pot.
- And feta cheese? No problem, just sprinkle your favorite cheese on top.
- Chicken is fully cooked to 165F (74C) or when juices run clear (no pink areas)